Monday, March 17, 2008

When Food Isn't Fun, You Go To The Vet




Sunday afternoon, I found that I couldn't enjoy my favorite pastime...eating. My humans were being nice to me again by giving me my favorite treat... Beggin Strips, but when I opened my mouth it hurt so much, I just dropped it immediately, and of course Miss Scarlet snatched it up right away, while I could only look on helplessly. Right away my humans, especially Snippy, knew something was wrong. Sam should have guessed a little earlier, when he threw one of my favorite toys, a beanie baby for me to catch and it hit me right in the face. I just couldn't open my mouth. Sam thought I just didn't want to play, sometimes I really wish my humans could speak in "dog" instead of those strange sounds they make. Anyway, Snippy and Sam kept feeling my mouth and sticking their hands all over my jowls and mouth, I don't know what they were looking for but all they ended up with were slimy fingers. Then they talked to someone on the ringing machine, even if it didn't ring, I guess it works even when it doesn't make that ringing noise first. Nothing happened for the rest of the day except I did get some hamburger that I could sort of "lick" into my mouth, which sure isn't as much fun as snarfing my food, you get too little in too long a time by licking.

Anyway, this morning they locked Miss Scarlett into her cage, that'll teach her to steal my treats! Then I got to put on my collar extension that my humans use to try and stop me from running around and exploring. I got into the moving box that takes me places faster than I can run and we went to see the Vet. Sam and Snippy left me there, but I didn't mind too much, there were so many new smells to explore and humans to meet.

While my humans were gone, it seemed like forever, the Vet poked and prodded me and tried to open my mouth, but it hurt so much I let him know that I didn't like that. Then he stuck me with a tiny sharp, steel stick. After a while, it didn't hurt so much to open my mouth but I still can't get it all the way open and "snarfing" my food is out of the question. My humans said that the Vet isn't sure what is the matter with me; he said something about a pus-ball behind my eye, but that the other symptoms that come along with that aren't present. He thinks maybe my humans noticed my problem early enough that my infection isn't bad enough to have all the symptoms yet. He gave them two bottles of stuff that I have to take starting tomorrow, but since I can't open my mouth, they'll have to put the stuff into "soft and smelly" food. OH Boy! OH Boy! I love soft and smelly!!

Anyway, looks like I get to eat some really good stuff for a while. Hopefully in a few days I can get back to being my normal self and snarfing my food and catching toys in my mouth instead of licking food and getting hit in the face by my toys.

Sarge

No comments: